Position of Artistic Director
The Courthouse Arts Centre is situated in the heart of Tinahely village in the south of Wicklow. It has long been an important geographical landmark in the county and is a uniquely visible and valuable asset in the cultural landscape of south Wicklow, east Carlow and north Wexford. The venue offers comprehensive artistic and outreach programmes in an atmospheric and intimate space, hosting a wide variety of multi-disciplinary arts events and workshops. Our programme includes: Theatre, Dance, Music, Film, Visual Arts, Comedy, Literature and an Education/Outreach programme. We are committed to offering emerging artists a platform to showcase their work. We receive programme funding from the Arts Council and Wicklow County Council, salary funding from the department of social protection managed by Pobal and staff support from a local community employment scheme.
Artistic Director – Job Description
- Produce a development plan for the future of the arts centre in consultation with the board of directors
- Implement a programme that balances high quality artistic value with budget and commercial considerations
- Secure a wide range of productions, negotiate with local, national and international arts producers and companies
- Identify cultural and audience trends
- Develop relationships with local, national and international arts productions and companies.
- Develop and implement outreach programmes.
Finance and Administration
- Develop and manage an annual overall budget and individual event budgets to report to the board of directors
- Make regular, accurate and clear financial reports to the board
- Produce monthly management accounts for analysis by the company secretary
- Prepare the company accounts for external auditors
- Ensure internal audit procedures are in line with the relevant funding bodies.
- Ensure all policies, charity regulations governance – financial, health and safety, child protection, marketing and fundraising, contractual and HR – are relevant and up to date and that the company meets its legal and financial obligations
- Ensure Friends of the Courthouse scheme is running effectively, maximising revenue and developing audiences
- Attend board meetings and provide information and financial material as will enable the Board to make considered decisions about policy and finance
Fundraising and Grant-writing
- Apply for funding from the Arts Council, Wicklow County Council and other funding bodies in a timely manner each year, and ensuring all funding conditions are met
- Maintain existing and develop new relationships with funding bodies and meet reporting requirements
- Manage and supervise the staff of the arts centre
- Identify training and support needs and see that they are met
- Maintain a safe environment for staff, artists, technicians and the public.
- See that the building and its facilities are maintained in excellent condition and cleanliness at all times
- Advise the board on upgrading and development needs of the building structure and equipment.
Marketing and Audience Development
- Ensure effective marketing and pricing of each event
- Develop new audience for the arts centre
- Act as spokesperson for the arts centre where appropriate
- Represent the Courthouse Arts Centre at pubic functions, conferences and delegations
- Act as duty manger during shows when necessary – evening and weekend working hours required
- Undertake any additional tasks that may be required by the board
Person Specification – What You Bring To The Role:
Experience & Qualifications
- Appropriate training, academic qualification and/or relevant work experience.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in an artistic directorship or arts management role in the arts.
- Track record of successful funding partnerships within commercial and public sectors and developing stakeholder relationships.
- Capacity to merge creative/artistic priorities with sound business planning/provision.
- Knowledge of current arts planning and funding in Ireland and future cultural development
- Excellent organisational and time management skills and the proven ability to multitask and work to tight deadlines.
- Experience managing budgets and preparing accounts for audit.
- Governance responsibilities and current company law.
- Experience supporting artists and an understanding of artistic processes and artist development opportunities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with a board of management and successfully leading a staff team.
- Excellent and proven IT skills with knowledge of accounting software and all Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, outlook), website updates, ticketing systems, online surveys and social media.
- Ability to develop strategies and implement them successfully.
- Confidence in public speaking so as to represent the organisation at various public events.
- Lead by example and value collaborative working relationships.
Terms and conditions of employment
- The position is for a three year contract, subject to continued funding and includes a 6 month probationary period.
- This is a full time position of 39 hours per week exclusive of lunch. It is understood that at times you may be expected to work such hours as are necessary to support the workload in question. Any hours worked over the contracted hours per week may be taken in lieu with prior agreement with the board.
- The position holds an entitlement of 20 days holiday per year, plus all public holidays.
Salary: €32,000 – €40,000 per annum commensurate with experience
How to apply
To apply for this position please send a CV detailing your experience and listing three references (preferably with their email addresses) and a covering letter telling us:
- Why you’re right for this role; both in terms of experience and meeting the selection criteria
- Why you want to work at The Courthouse Arts Centre
Applications must be submitted to Frank Gallagher Chairman either by post: The Courthouse Arts Centre Main St Tinahely Co Wicklow or by email : email@example.com application will be treated with the strictest of confidence.
Closing Date for applications is Friday 15 February 2018 @ 5pm. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed on Friday March 1st from 2pm.
The Courthouse Arts Centre is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is funded by the Arts Council, Wicklow County Council and the department of social protection.